Student Records and Registration

Contact Information

It is critical the University has accurate address, phone, and emergency contact information in the event the University needs to contact you, a family member, or other designated individuals. Each fall and spring semesters, students are required to update their contact information before registering for classes in their Student Center via access through the Portal. Students may also inform the University of changes to their contact information by completing a Student Information Update form.

Email Communication

California State University, Chico considers email to be an official method for communicating University business with students. Each student is provided with a campus WildcatMail account. We strongly urge you to review the contents of your WildcatMail account on a frequent and regular basis. Critical notifications from the University related to enrollment, academic status, fees, holds, and financial aid will only be sent to your WildcatMail account. Students may forward messages from this account to an address used regularly.

Student ID Number

You will be assigned a nine-digit Chico State ID Number that will be used as an identifier for all of your student records. These records may include:

  1. application and admission records;
  2. registration records;
  3. enrollment/transcript records;
  4. financial aid records;
  5. alumni records; and
  6. records maintained by other University programs.

Use of Social Security Number

Applicants are required to include their correct Social Security numbers in designated places on applications for admission pursuant to the authority contained in Section 41201, Title 5, California Code of Regulations, and Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6109).

The University uses the Social Security number to identify students and their records including identification for purposes of financial aid eligibility and disbursement and the repayment of financial aid and other debts payable to the institution. Also, the Internal Revenue Service requires the University to file information returns that include the student’s Social Security number and other information (such as the amount paid for qualified tuition, related expenses, and interest on educational loans). This information is used by the IRS to help determine whether a student, or a person claiming a student as a dependent, may take a credit or deduction to reduce federal income taxes.

Students who do not have a Social Security number at the time of enrollment will be required to obtain a Social Security number and submit it to the University within 60 days. Failure to furnish a correct Social Security number may result in the imposition of a penalty by the Internal Revenue Service.

Enrollment Verification

Student Records and Registration verifies enrollment for insurance companies, banks, scholarships, employment, etc. The Financial Aid and Scholarships Office verifies enrollment for students applying for its financial aid programs.

Most verifications of enrollment require a certification for full-time or part-time student status. You are a full-time undergraduate student if you are enrolled in at least 12 semester units. You are considered half-time if you enroll in 6–11.9 units, and part-time if enrolled in 1–5.9 units. If you enroll in extension course work at Chico State, you must inform SRR of this fact when requesting an enrollment verification if you plan to use the extension units in determining full-time or part-time status.

You are a full-time graduate student if you are enrolled in at least 8 graduate-level semester units (courses numbered 400–699). Courses numbered 100 through 399 do not count full value towards the 8 graduate-level semester units required for full-time status for graduate students. Regularly enrolled graduate students employed half-time or more as graduate assistants, research assistants, or part-time faculty may use the employment as the equivalent of up to four semester hours in determining full-time status. Verification of this must be obtained through the Office of Graduate Studies.

Enrollment verification requires your written consent before it will be released and should be requested two weeks before needed.

Proof of Immunization

To avoid a hold being placed on your registration that may result in delays or denial of access to registration, you must secure proof of immunity and be prepared to present it as required to the Wellcat Health Center. Proof of immunizations may be obtained from your high school records, personal physician, your county health department, or the WellCat Health Center on campus. See CSU Immunization Requirements for more details.

Records Security

The security of your academic record is our highest concern. Therefore, it is extremely important for you to properly exit your student information on the web by using the “Logout” button. Do not walk away from a public computer while still logged in to your personal records without using the “Logout” button.