Academic Advising

Academic Advising Programs helps you develop and achieve your educational goals, and encourage you to use the diverse resources available at California State University, Chico. Our staff will help facilitate your understanding of the opportunities here, as well as the policies and procedures related to your academic progress. We welcome all of your questions, so plan to drop in on a regular basis.

Advisors can help you understand how to meet General Education and other graduation requirements, choose courses of interest, select majors, minors, and other educational offerings (certificates, exchange programs, and internships). We can assist in addressing concerns about academic notice and resolve issues related to policies and procedures. Visit Academic Advising Programs for the best year-round contact information.

Undeclared Advising

Academic Advising Programs is the home office for undergraduate students who are exploring their major options and course of study. We provide focused advising help for undeclared students who are unsure about their educational direction, as well as those who want to explore options. We encourage students who are in the process of deciding on a major to seek assistance when needed.

If you are an undeclared student, we invite you to meet with an academic advisor regularly to plan each semester's academic program and to explore the ways in which your interests can lead to the choice of a major and even a career. You will also discover ways in which you can create an educational experience that is uniquely yours by combining a major with a minor, certificate program, or even "selected electives."

Major Advising

Chico State practices a dual advising system. Advising in your major is provided by the academic department of your major field of study. Students who have declared a major are assigned advisors through their major departments and should consult with them regularly. Major advisors will work with you to determine your status towards meeting major requirements. We encourage you to develop close advising relationships with your advisors and other faculty in your major department.

Whether you plan to meet with an academic advisor or your major advisor, it is important to plan for your meeting. Review your Degree Progress Report in the Student Center within your Portal account. Make a list of your questions and concerns to make the most of your time with your advisor.

Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning and Written Communication Requirements

For critical information please refer to Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning and Writing Requirements. Academic advisors can answer questions about appropriate course placement. If you are concerned about your ability to progress through our Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning or Written Communication requirements, help is available.

The California Promise

The California Promise Program enables a specific number of CSU campuses to establish pledge programs for entering first-time students who are both interested and able to complete baccalaureate degrees in four years. All campuses have established programs for students with Associate Degrees for transfer from any California Community College to complete their baccalaureate degrees in two years. The program is limited to students who are residents of California.

Students who commit to enter either the 4-year or 2-year pledge will be given a priority registration appointment for each state-supported enrollment period and will be provided with routine and thorough academic advisement. In order to remain in the program, students must meet with their advisors as prescribed, develop an enrollment plan, and complete 30 semester units or the quarter equivalent within each academic year, including summer. Participating campuses may stipulate other requirements as well. Interested students entering Chico State should visit the California Promise Program page.

Withdrawing from the University

Should you find it necessary to withdraw from all your classes during the first 12 weeks of the semester, initiate the process with the Office of The Registrar prior to meeting with an advisor in Academic Advising Programs. Academic advisors are able to discuss alternatives with you, as well as explain how to apply for a Planned Educational Leave from the University. For information on the withdrawal process, see Academic Policies and Regulations Withdrawing from the University.

Academic Notice Advising

If your Chico State or cumulative grade point average falls below 2.0, you will be placed on academic notice. In this case, you should meet with your major advisor and an advisor in Academic Advising Programs within the first two weeks of the semester, so that changes can be made to your academic schedule or program. You may be able to take advantage of helpful University policies, such as repeating courses with academic forgiveness. The GPA Calculator can help you compute your grade point average and project future averages based on projected grades for the current semester.

While on academic notice, you should restrict your course load to 14 units or less each semester until you achieve clear academic standing (a minimum GPA of 2.0).

Disqualified Student Advising

If you have been academically disqualified we encourage you to seek special in Academic Advising Programs. We will review your academic record, explain the appeal process that is necessary for reinstatement to the University, and help you develop a strategy that will maximize your chances of academic recovery. Academically disqualified students desiring reinstatement must file an Appeal for Reinstatement by the published deadline.