Social Work MSW

Total Units Required: 34-63

The School of Social Work offers an undergraduate degree in social work as well as the Master of Social Work which may be completed in a one-year, two-year, or three-year program.  All courses are offered in an on-campus format and also in a distributed learning (DL) format which allows students to largely take courses online with periodic visits to the campus.  All of our programs combine a robust curriculum with practical experience in the field for future social workers wishing to work with children, families, groups, and communities.

The MSW Program’s advanced generalist concentration presents students with a broad-based set of knowledge, skills, and values necessary for multiple levels of advanced social work practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities. The major emphases for the concentration year are direct services to individuals, families, and groups; community and organizational practice; policy analysis and practice; and research as practice.

Two people work on a research project with a poster behind them on the wall that reads, "Butte County Low-income Child Care Study."

Graduate Advising Requirement

Prior to the beginning of classes, students should contact the School of Social Work office with questions regarding the MSW program and their graduate education experience. After the beginning of classes, students should contact their assigned faculty advisor.

Research with Human Participants or Animals

All research projects which involve human participants must be reviewed for adherence to ethical guidelines as outlined in departmental and University policies (EM 93-004). No research involving human subjects will be conducted until a review of the project has been carried out and written approval given. All activity with animals must adhere to the guidelines outlined in the University Animal Welfare Policy (EM-09-006). Guidelines on the use of human or animal subjects are available from Chico State Enterprises.

Standards of Professional Behavior and Conduct

Refer to the standards in the undergraduate section and the MSW Student Handbook on the School of Social Work website.

Federal Title IV-E Child Welfare Training Program

The MSW program is a participant in the Federal Title IV-E Program. The program provides stipends to on-campus students who commit to up to two years (depending on your MSW program) of postgraduate employment in public or tribal child welfare. Title IV-E provides financial supports to distributed learning social work students who commit to a minimum of two years of postbaccalaureate employment in public or tribal child welfare. Interested students should contact the MSW Director and the Title IV-E Coordinators in the School of Social Work.